Monday, June 7, 2010

JapaDog - Vancouver


My child is a seven month old jet setter. Already having flown to Palm Springs twice, she got to accompany my husband and I to Vancouver a few weekends ago as well. Airplanes are old news to her. She was great walking around, and that gave us a chance to see a lot more of the city than we expected. With the goal of trying to eat some interesting food while staying child friendly, we followed Anthony Bourdain's lead and hit up the JapaDog stand by our hotel.

Apparently many celebrities have done the same thing - haha!

I went with the Terimayo dog (teriyaki sauce, Japanese mayo and seaweed flakes). It was good. I think some people would find it a bit sweet, but I thought it was quite a lot like a sweet BBQ sauce, which I enjoyed. The seaweed was a bit daunting. I wasn't sure I would be able to eat it without spilling everywhere, but it was good, and not as overpowering as I feared. My husband had the Oroshi dog, and it had tons of radish on it. He found that to be a bit intense, and was feeling it all day afterward.

It is definitely worth a stop next time you are downtown Vancouver and looking for a quick bite. I intend to hit it up again next time we are there and try a different offering.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Court, That is a handsome hotdog indeed! I just wanted to say I like your blog (on bruleeblog's recommendation) and wondering if you'd be interested in sharing your restaurant outings on urbanspoon.com. For example, if you wanted to post your experience at Japadog on our site, you'd enter a spoonback from http://www.urbanspoon.com/e/restaurant_link/335373 (via http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/14/335373/restaurant/Downtown/Japadog-Burrard-Smithe-Vancouver). Feel free to email me if you have questions. Cheers, Christine {at} urbanspoon {dot} com

    ReplyDelete