Thursday, August 4, 2011

Lobster Roll

Last night I was laying on my couch with my cat. I was feeling a bit bunk and kind of zoning, when I noticed the look my cat was giving me. She was totally saying "Why don't you blog?" I said "Don't judge me cat, I am busy/tired/full of other excuses." "You know you like taking food pictures and writing about stuff you make, and admit it, you miss the camaraderie of your fellow bloggers - they get you." "Fine! I will do a post tomorrow, I promise." "Okay...sure you will..." Take that sceptical cat! I'm posting! Anyway, this post is not about my bossy cat, it is about lobster.

I have a job where I occassionally benefit from perks. Most of them are wasted on me. Box seats to a hockey game - meh, an afternoon of golf - pass, but a while back we (my brother, dad and I) had a 30 lb box of lobster given to us. It came off the east coast dock Sat morning, boiled and packed, and arrived in our hands just in time for an amazing feast of a dinner. You can see the original haul at my brother's blog. It was the best day!

My brother and I sacrificed our fingers and foraged for all the remaining meat we could. You can see he made lobster rolls as well and then pasta. I did rolls and made a stock that I intend to use to make bisque.

The first thing I thought was "What kind of twist should I incorporate into my rolls?" I did some internet research, and then reconsidered. This was the best lobster I had ever had by far - why hide that - just go with it plain and simple! Here is all you need:
- shredded lobster (keep some of the bits in big hunks)
- a spritz of fresh lemon juice
- mayo (less is more, the lemon juice really makes it seem like more)
- a little finely diced celery
- some mixed greens for colour (I went with arugula and spinach from my garden)
- hot dog buns
I couldn't find the kind of top load buns I wanted, so I got large normal ones and trimmed off the edges. The toasty buttery outside of the bun is really a key part of the experience. Butter the outside, toast the buns, fill with some greens and top with a lobster salad of the remaining ingredients. Heaven! It amazes me sometimes how the simplest things, if made with real quality ingredients, can be the best. Yes, I ate both rolls myself :-)

5 comments:

  1. Score! Sounds really good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Court and Brooke!
    I found your great website and we would love to feature it!! I work with www.TheBesty.com which helps people all over the world find the best restaurants & food. Simply email me back the names and cities of 5-10 restaurants locally or anywhere in the world - that you think are the BEST, and we'll feature your picks & link to your website, so our users can find you! We work with websites & blogs in over 50 countries, it would be great to work with yours as well!
    A few of our celebrity users include: Anthony Bourdain, Guy Fieri, and Rachael Ray!
    Featured Blogs: http://www.thebesty.com/search/blogs
    Also, we would love to feature an article about your site, so if you would like to do a write-up about how your website got started, with any fun tidbits about yourself, send that my way and I’ll have our content team post it for you, FB it & tweet it! - any length works! :) Try to send your 5-10 favorite restaurant picks in the next few days, and then you can take up to 2 weeks to send the article if you would like us to post it!
    I look forward to hearing from you, and hopefully we can feature your site under our featured blogs!
    Cheers,

    Julia
    Website & Blog Partners
    www.TheBesty.com
    www.twitter.com/TheBestycom

    TheBesty.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there,

    Thank you so much for your recipes. We would like to add your blog to the Top Food Blog list in www.mytaste.com/ . Your blog is impressively BEAUTIFUL and it deserves to be included on the Top list!! Great recipes!! We will feature your blog and we will make a lot of shout out about your recipes on our fan pages so that people and our 4million users worldwide will be able to check it on our site.

    MyTaste is a social platform for foodies and blogs/sites owners like you and it helps to reach more people, get more visibility on the web and share/save recipes. Some of the top food blogs receive at least 10,000 visits from us on a weekly basis.

    If you want to JOIN TOP FOOD BLOGS, here's the link>> http://www.mytaste.com/top-food-blogs

    EXPOSE YOUR BLOG!!! Joining won’t cost
    The World deserves to know how great a cook you are.

    Kind regards
    -Ricky

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post on "Lobster Roll". As a professional chef i have to appreciate your work. Keep Posting useful posts like this. Keep in touch with my websites- Culinary Schools | Cooking Schools

    ReplyDelete
  5. a delicious post. i would love to try this.
    best bakery in lahore

    ReplyDelete