Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Risotto Already?

I can't quite believe that a few degrees drop in temperature makes me want comfort food, a couch, and a cozy duvet, but all I could think about today was risotto. I'm also trying to clear out my fridge before I am tempted by any more fresh summer produce, as I seem to be stockpiling without any actual eating. The kabocha squash that's been sitting on my counter for a couple of weeks seemed to fit the bill. I really was not in the mood for making any dinner when I got home, but once I got started I remembered that risotto is really no work at all - and after a long day at work it was so relaxing to just stand and stir without having to think about anything.

Squash Risotto (serves 2-3):
500g pureed squash
3 tbsp butter
1 medium onion
fresh thyme
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
100g arborio rice
around 500ml chicken or vegetable stock
salt & pepper
50g chèvre
large handful spinach, chopped
chopped walnuts (optional)

Quarter the squash and roast for 40 minutes in a 350F/180C oven, or wrap in cling film and microwave for around 5 minutes until soft. Scoop out the flesh and puree using an immersion blender, then set aside. In a shallow pan over low heat, melt the butter and cook the onion, garlic, and thyme until softened. Add the rice and cook for a few minutes, then slowly begin adding the stock, stirring constantly for about 20-25 minutes. Add the pureed squash and then salt and pepper to taste. Cook for a further 5-10 minutes, adding more stock if needed. Finally, stir in the chèvre and spinach until the cheese is melted and the spinach softened.

4 comments:

  1. That sounds wonderful - for some reason I always shy away from risotto, but I think I will give this a go. Great photo as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like it would fit the bill for comfort & warmth. Crazy how we go into hibernation mode. Like Jocelyn, I shy away from risotto, but this makes me want to give it a go...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very unique risotto--never seen that one before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, there's nothing wrong with risotto in summer! I love the colour of this, talk about uplifting mood-food. And pretty healthy, too!

    ReplyDelete