Monday, January 18, 2010

Renkon Chips

I actually cook with lotus root (or renkon) quite often, mostly because it makes such a pretty addition to my bento lunches. Luckily, it turns out it's also quite good for you. It has a delicate flavour and a lovely crunchy texture (even when not deep fried).

1 section renkon
vegetable oil for frying
1 tbsp flour
1/2 tbsp shichimi togarashi or szechuan pepper

Peel the vegetable, then slice thinly. I used a mandoline for this as I wanted paper-thin slices for the chips. Drop them in a bowl of water with a generous splash of vinegar to keep them white, as they start to discolour quite quickly. Once cut, briefly dry on paper towel and drop them into a plastic bag with the flour and spice, then shake around to coat.

Drop into the heated oil in batches, pulling out when lightly browned. This only took a couple of minutes as my slices were so thin.

1 comment:

  1. This looks wonderful. I wonder where I could find lotus root? Would it be in an Asian supermarket? What does it look like? I have to try these.

    ReplyDelete