Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Muesli Scones

On Sunday, I felt like having brunch at home all by my lonesome so I prepared a feast of scones, fresh fruit and my latest addiction - Liberté Méditerranée yogurt. This is one of my favourite recipes for scones. It is not traditional, but is certainly tasty; I found it about 10 years ago (yikes, that makes me feel old!) on the back of a box of Alpen No Sugar Added cereal. This time I made them small as I wanted to have them as a side with breakfast rather than alone, and because I ran out of raisins I used 1/8 cup chopped dried apricots and 1/8 cup finely chopped apple.

Muesli Scones:
1 cup Alpen cereal
2 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp baking powder
13 cup margarine
1/2 cup dried fruit, chopped
1 egg
2/3 cup milk

Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl and cut in the margarine until it resembles breadcrumbs. Beat the egg into the milk, then stir it into the mixture until just combined. Knead the dough about 10 times on a floured surface, then press in a circle to a 2cm (3/4") thickness. Cut into wedges and bake at 350F/180C for 15 minutes until golden. This makes 8 large scones, or 12+ small round scones.

1 comment:

  1. Those scones look great!

    Liberté makes amazing stuff and I also love their yogurt!

    Last year in Montreal I had some of their cream cheese - it was nice and light and tangy - fantastic! I've been searching everywhere here for it, but haven't found it yet.

    ReplyDelete