Monday, March 28, 2011

Beard Papa in NYC, LA... Edmonton?

I had heard about the Japanese cream puff chain Beard Papa, so when I first spotted it in New York in 2009 I knew I had to stop in even laden with shopping bags. I'm certainly glad I did. The pastry is made fresh and filled to order with a choice of vanilla, chocolate, or matcha custard.

I next came across it in LA in June of last year and of course dragged my mum with me to create another addict. This time I got the vanilla topped with chocolate. One would think that chocolate could only enhance the goodness, but these are actually better without - light and airy and not too sweet. I didn't bother stopping in Tokyo as there were too many other things to try, but now I wish I had so the title of this post would be more exciting.

You can imagine my delight when I heard that an Edmonton outpost (located near the Ice Palace in West Edmonton Mall) was opening last fall. Somehow it took me until last weekend to finally stop by, and it was delicious as usual. Standard size was $2.69 each, and they also offered mini versions for $0.99. One important note - they really do not travel well as the custard filling causes the pastry to get soggy quite quickly.

7 comments:

  1. That looks amazing! I must try it next time I'm at WEM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been meaning to try this for the longest time. Everytime I visit Vancouver I want to try one, but because I'm always stuffing my mouth in Vancouver, I'm always full when I pass by a Beard Papa's...sigh. One day, one day soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hoping to try the milk tea next time in Vancouver.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was astonished to see a cream puff place. I can't get my head around the volume they'd have to do to cover overhead!!?! Are cream puffs to be the new cupcake for boardroom meetings and birthday parties?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely need to try this out. Great picture Brooke!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So what's the best flavour?

    ReplyDelete
  7. As much as I love matcha, I've got to go with the orig. I am a custard fiend, haha.

    ReplyDelete