Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Chicken, Fig and Mushroom Wilted Salad

This salad is perhaps the opposite of healthy. It is, however, extremely delicious. Also incredibly easy - made up on the fly, as it was - providing you have some pretty obscure ingredients to hand. Luckily, I had stopped by the Italian Centre on the weekend and noticed fresh figs (which I had not previously tried) and my freezer has goodies like the pan scrapings from a roast goose. Fabulous, and under 10 minutes to make.

Chicken, Fig & Mushroom Salad (serves 1):
100g chicken thigh or breast, cubed
large handful crimini mushrooms, sliced
1/4 onion, sliced
1 fresh fig, quartered
very large handful spinach leaves
1 tbsp goose fat
1/4 cup goose pan scrapings
salt & pepper

The pan scrapings and goose fat meant I did not have to spend any time worrying about flavouring for the meat. To start off, I melted the goose fat in a fry pan and cooked the onion and mushrooms until softened. Those were set aside and the pan scrapings were added to the pan with the chicken until cooked through. The spinach was topped with the mushrooms and onion and those were topped with the chicken. Then I added the fig and some good bread to mop up the drippings, and had a lovely al fresco dinner.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, it's not that unhealthy. A little goose fat never hurt anybody. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Brooke!

    It was great meeting you and Courtney last week. I was originally dropping by say hi and to ask you where you got your figs as I had never had one before, but now I got my answer, so thank you.

    Your salad looks and sounds delicious! I'll give up taste for health any day. But I don't think it's that unhealthy actually. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have yet to try a fresh fig. I have no idea how it has evaded me! Awesome looking platter of food!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so tasty. YUM YUM YUM. Still away - back next week. Cannot wait to get home.
    :)
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete