Thursday, July 16, 2009

Wild Flour (Banff)

Last year I made a trip to Banff fully intending to visit the Wild Flour Bakery Café after reading raves about it on Chowhound. I didn't manage to get there on that trip, but I am certainly glad we stopped in this year as it is something not to be missed. I'm a tough nut to crack when it comes to bakeries, and normally when people are raving I end up underwhelmed. (Yes, I mean you, Cobs.) After travelling Europe, nothing seems to live up to those standards.

Norm & Court both chose chocolate croissants and I had a cranberry white chocolate scone. Now, there's nothing I hate more than a stick of hard chocolate inside a croissant, which is why I almost never buy them in Canada. These, however, were filled with melty goodness, as was my scone. The sweet white chocolate was nicely balanced by tart fresh cranberries. These were huge too. We missed out on trying any of their breads on this trip, but they looked fabulous and I hope to try them on my next visit. Some people had mentioned that the prices were high, but I found them no higher than local overpriced (yes, I mean you again, Cobs) bakeries. When you factor in size + deliciousness, that = a good deal.

1 comment:

  1. Looks tasty! I'll definitely give it a go when we're there in Sept and October =)

    ReplyDelete