Sunday, December 21, 2008

Quick Quaint Quail Eggs


This week was Christmas Pot Luck at work and I wanted to make something that is tasty, quick, and not going to break the bank. It's also a little different from the usual fare, which I always enjoy. Most of the people I know have never tried quail eggs, but they're pretty much just like regular eggs - only cuter!

Put 24 eggs in a large saucepan of simmering water and cook for 5 minutes. While they are cooking, make the salt dip(s) by just grinding all ingredients together using a mortar & pestle or spice grinder.

Sesame Salt:
2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
1/2 tsp sea salt

Coriander Salt:
2 tbsp coriander seeds, toasted until fragrant (~2 min) in a fry pan
1 1/2 tbsp sea salt
1 tsp demerara sugar

When the eggs are done, drain, then run cold water over the eggs to stop them from cooking. It's easiest to peel them now, under the running water. The shells are a bit thicker than regular eggs, so the peeling is what takes the longest as you want to keep them looking pretty. I made these the night before and used the egg tray to transport & serve them at work, and stuck toothpicks in them to serve. Easy peasy!

6 comments:

  1. your quail eggs are indeed very cute. I'm sure they were a huge hit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool idea. I bet this would be great with black sesame seeds too (might make them look almost like unpeeled eggs with little specks of black).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love quail eggs... and I love how you serve them, very cute! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! I love quail eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great idea! I would have never thought to serve quail eggs like this. I have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to see someone experiment with boiling them like this! I have toyed with the idea of making a dish, but have not found them lately.

    Cute too!

    ReplyDelete