Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Chinese Cabbage & Bacon Soup


Because I like to try new things all the time, I often end up buying ingredients I don't normally use and am then stuck with no ideas on how to use up the leftovers - and I hate wasting food. This happened recently when I bought a chinese cabbage and found half of it sitting in my refrigerator for a week. I've really been on a soup kick this winter (probably because it's freeeezing), and this soup is particularly quick and easy to make. It is also delicious - but how could it not be when there is bacon involved?

Chinese Cabbage & Bacon Soup:
6 slices bacon, ~ 150g
1/2 chinese cabbage, sliced lengthways
2 cm ginger, peeled & grated
100 ml sake
300 ml water or dashi
2 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tbsp rice wine vinegar

Take the cabbage and arrange the bacon in layers through the leaves, leaving pats of ginger with each strip of bacon. Tie it together with string and place in a medium saucepan, then add the sake and water (the liquid will seem low, but it is fine). Bring to the boil over medium-low heat, and simmer for 30 minutes. Next, add the soy sauce and rice vinegar and keep warm. Remove the cabbage and cut it into bite-sized pieces. Put the cabbage & bacon into serving bowls and pour the soup on top, then garnish with green onion or leek. I served this with rice so that it was filling enough for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment