Thursday, December 4, 2008

Bestest Chewiest Gingersnaps


I love, love, love ginger in all forms. Crystallized or fresh, sweet or savoury - you name it, I'll eat it. (Ginger ice cream is my absolute favourite!) This will also mean you'll be seeing it in a lot of my posts. Though I love these cookies, I don't make them often as they are more labour intensive than I like. But of all the recipes for gingersnaps I've tried, this is the only one that will produce a perfect soft cookie.

Gingersnaps:
3/4 cup/170g margerine (block-type)
1 cup/200g packed dark brown sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup/80g molasses
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp salt
2 1/4 cups/280g plain flour
sugar to coat

Mix the first four ingredients together in your mixer or by hand, then add the baking soda, spices, and salt and stir to combine. Mix in the flour until just combined. Put the bowl in the fridge to chill for at least 1 hour, as it is a lot easier to roll into balls when the dough is cold.

It's best to have a few baking sheets on the go, because forming the cookies takes some time. Shape the dough into 2cm (3/4 inch) balls, and roll in the sugar to coat. Put the tray on the centre shelf of your oven and bake for 8-9 minutes at 350F/180C. These will look slightly undercooked when t
hey come out, but that's what keeps them moist. Let rest for a minute, then move to newspaper or a wire rack to cool. This recipe makes about 2-3 dozen, so I normally make a double batch as they don't last very long!

8 comments:

  1. These look yummy! I'll have to try them next time I make gingersnaps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is on my list for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to try these out for a cookie exchange this weekend! They look so yum yum, thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean about ginger! I love the stuff! I just wrote a post about pumpkin ginger ice cream that will be up in a week. Two of my favorite flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's obviously a completely different recipe, but this is how I make peanut butter cookies too -- rolling in sugar, etc. They always come out perfectly moist & round -- I despise flat, crispy cookies or those that are greasy/buttery! I'm definitely going to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have no idea what I did wrong, but mine were flat and so chewy they tasted underdone. :/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just made them and they were FANtastic!! I wasn't sure what exactly to do with the butter, so I left it out to room temp before mixing it with the sugar.

    Fluffy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just made them and had the same problem, flat and way way too chewy. They definitely were way undercooked.

    ReplyDelete