Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Make a Different Sandwich


As mentioned yesterday, I love going to the Italian Centre Shop to pick up meat and cheese from the deli. This visit, I went with the prosciutto as my meat choice, and an old, sharp, white cheddar as my cheese. I also grabbed a nice looking mini ciabatta, and a delicious sandwich was a brewin'. All that was needed to round it out was something sweet, and something tangy.

The something sweet took a little bit of effort. I grabbed an apple from the crisper, cut it in half, peeled it, and cut it into slices. I sprayed a pan with cooking spray, to make sure my apple slices wouldn't stick, and then arranged them in a single layer and popped them in the oven. They only take a couple of minutes and you can tell by looking at them that they have softened up (the colour changes to look like a "cooked" apple).

Once the apples were ready, I layered up everything else: prosciutto, apple then cheddar, and added Dijon mustard spread on the top half to provide the something tangy. Pop the whole sandwich back into the oven so that the cheese melts and the sandwich feels like a hot lunch.

Each of the ingredients has such a different and fairly strong flavor, but together they compliment each other very nicely, and are a good change from a plain old ham and cheese.

4 comments:

  1. Looks fantastic! Prosciutto is so salty I like having it with something sweet. Love the idea of doing a quick oven roast for the apples.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, I love the Italian Centre so much. I could spend hours in there, slowly pushing my cart up and down the aisles and staring at the deli counter until somebody asked me to leave...

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! that's an wonderful idea to prepare sandwich, I am surely going to try this out. For more wide options of cuisines you can opt for new restaurants Edmonton.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent post. I like it. You can visit one the best Subway restaurant Edmonton.Here you will get all the spicy and healthy pizzas, chicken and burgers. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete