Friday, December 26, 2008

My Favourite Avocado Salad


After many days of eating like a pig, I really felt like having a salad today. This is my favorite salad of all time. It has evolved from the Joey's Diva (Viva now?) salad, but at this point it only has a couple of the original ingredients. I frequently serve it over top of whatever salad greens are in season, but having been by the grocery store the other day, there were not any appealing looking greens to be had. No worries though, the greens are mostly filler anyway.

Avocado Salad (a large salad for one):
1 avocado chopped
1 small pear chopped (apple could substitute for a more crisp taste)
3 dried apricots finely chopped
1 tablespoon toasted pine nuts
feta to taste
Optional: crispy warm bacon bits (make them, do not shake them out of a container)

To toast the pine nuts, place them on a baking sheet on "broil" and keep an eye on them until they start to brown. This will only take seconds. Top the salad with a drizzle of olive oil and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.

I am not the kind of person that will eat a pile of greens all by themselves. For me to eat a salad, I like to have some cheese in it and/or nuts and/or meat. With this one, if I throw the bacon bits on it, I get all three. If you are serving this salad at a dinner party, do not make it too far in advance or everything will brown.

1 comment:

  1. This looks like a great salad - in fact it looks like supper this evening :) I am a huge avocado fan and am always looking for new things to do with it.

    ReplyDelete