Friday, December 19, 2008

Our Top 5 Gadgets (each!)

These are great foodie gadgets that would be perfect for gifts or stocking stuffers!

Brooke's Top 5 (+1):

1. Cooking Chopsticks - They replace a bunch of tools as they can be used for mixing, flipping/grabbing, or piercing.
2. Scale - Invaluable! It gives me the ability to try European recipes and is great for controlling portion sizes.
3. Mini Nesting Bowls - I love creating a mise en place when I cook, and using these means I can have everything ready to go.
4. Microplane - What did I do before I had this? It perfectly grates peel, cheese, garlic, ginger, nutmeg, etc. etc.
5. Mortar & Pestle - This is great because I make my own salad dressings, and it works for rubs and marinades as well.
6. Assortment of Rice Moulds - I eat rice several times a week, often for lunch. These make it so easy to create portable, freezable snacks.

Court's Top 5:

1. Veggie Keeper - It really does help my garden veggies last way longer, which is invaluable for me since garden stuff is like gold.
2. Thermometer - Needed to make sure meat is cooked since I don't roast often with just two of us eating, so I don't know meat cook times.
3. Spaghetti Measure - I love it because I am terrible at estimating volume.
4. BBQ Skewers (really all BBQ tools) - These are perfect because I BBQ all summer since we don't have air conditioning, so I can have veggies done BBQ'd too.
5. Mini Food Processor - It is great for making pesto, grinding nuts, and doing anything that the big one does with smaller clean up and a smaller price tag.

8 comments:

  1. I was wondering if those veggies keepers really worked....thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cooking chopsticks, that would be handy! I'll see if I can find those over here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I've been wanting cooking chopsticks for a while, but I've been too lazy to go out and look for them. Can you find them here in Edmonton?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Hanne, I got the cooking chopsticks for around $3 at T&T Supermarket. They have a few different styles & I love them!

    Loveliebutterfly, Asia Market at 18 Drury St in Dublin should have what you're looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've just reminded me that I need some cooking chopsticks. Time to shop! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally love the mortar & pestle for grinding spices and crushing garlic (with a little salt)...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you.
    That would be nice if you included us on your page.

    ReplyDelete