Monday, December 1, 2008

Goat Cheese and Pesto Goodness


Coming out of university, pita pizzas were a staple part of my diet. Pitas were easy to come by, and I usually had some pasta sauce and some cheese in my fridge. Voila! Dinner! Over time this combination got a bit old, and I started to experiment to the point where my pita pizzas were not much like the traditional versions at all. Luckily, as restaurants got more and more into unusual designer pizzas, hipster restaurateurs coined the term "flatbread" and I felt free to take on this moniker for my creations as well.

I pretty much always have some Greek pitas at my place, and seeing as they are a bit thicker, they make nice pizza/flatbread crusts. I don't make my own bread of any kind. Today for lunch, I decided to go with one that tastes nice and warm for winter. I hesitate to even call it a recipe, because it is more like just throwing some things on top of a pita to use up leftover cooked veggies.

I start by spreading goat cheese on the pita so that it thickly covers the entire surface. Next, I do the same with pesto. I know this might seem like a lot, but I went through a pesto loving phase where I actually used to dip pieces of cheese into pesto and eat it (as did one of my friends who shall remain nameless.... you know who you are!), so this is actually me exercising pesto and cheese restraint. Finally, I pile veggies and veggie preserves on top. It is usually a combination like today:

Sun dried Tomatoes
Preserved Roasted Red Peppers
Sautéed Mushrooms, Garlic and Onion (leftover)
Spinach
Fresh Tomato Slices

All of these items are easy to locate at the local grocery store, but if I feel like treating myself to a little shopping excursion, I venture downtown to the Italian Grocery store (on 95 Street just south of 109 Ave) and browse the rows of Unico (Canadian!) cans and jars checking out all sorts of colourful stuff like artichokes, olives, and eggplant. The best part is that since I am down there, I get to stock up on cheeses and meats from their deli.

Once the pile is assembled, throw it in the oven for 2-3 minutes to warm, and then eat. I understand that not everyone goes home for lunch like me, but you can spread the goat cheese and pesto on the pita, fold it, put it in a container, and then take a second container with leftover sautéed veggies (throw the preserved ones in) and put it in the toaster oven at work too. Having a "Roast vegetable, goat cheese and pesto Flatbread" for lunch will make you look fancy and hip.

No comments:

Post a Comment