Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Stroganoff for a Cold Winter Night



I know this is nothing compared to how cold it is going to get later in winter, but I am FREEZING!!! I had some meatballs in the freezer that my mom gave me when I was sick a while ago, so I pulled them out for a hot comfort food supper on a night when both my husband and I were working. I got home in the evening, and had dinner for two (and a packed lunch) made less than half an hour later. Pasta is a pretty safe bet for a quick hot meal. I started the water boiling right away so that it would be ready for pasta when I was ready to count down to dinner, and then I got working on my sauce.

Stroganoff Sauce: (sauce for about 4)
2 tbsp butter
1/2 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
2 tbsp flour
1/2 cup beef stock
1/2 cup sour cream

Once I have finished all my chopping, I put my pasta on so it will be ready close to the same time as the sauce.

In a large frying pan or electric fryer sauté the onions and mushrooms in the butter until the mushrooms start to brown a little. Take the heat off, and dust the mixture with 1 1/2 tbsp of the flour. Mix it until it is all well combined. Return the pan to heat, and add the beef broth, stirring it in a little at a time so that the flour does not separate. Allow it to thicken for a minute or two. Stir the last 1/2 tbsp of flour into the sour cream, and add that mixture to the rest of the sauce. Finally, add the meatballs and cover them with sauce so that they defrost/warm up quickly (about 5 minutes).

2 comments:

  1. I was wondering if you would ever be interested in becoming a featured publisher with Foodbuzz.com? If so please conctact me at lizstambaugh@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yumm, I am going to try this with my veggie meatballs.

    ReplyDelete