Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Double Chocolate Brownies


As if you haven't had enough sweets by now - I have brownies on the brain! I am always looking for the perfect brownie. I have some vague recollection that at some time in my life I have had one - for me it would be moist and fudgy and not cakelike at all - but I have no clue what recipe would have produced it. I found yet another recipe the other day that promised to produce the best ever brownies, so I gave it a try.

Double Chocolate Brownies:
3/4 cup baking cocoa
1/2 tsp baking soda
2/3 cup melted butter
1/2 cup boiling water
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups chocolate chunks
1/2 cup nuts (pecans or walnuts) optional

Combine the cocoa and baking soda with 1/3 cup of melted butter in a large bowl. Add the boiling water and stir until blended. Stir in sugar, eggs and the rest of the butter. Add the flour, vanilla and salt. Stir in the chocolate chunks. Bake in a greased 13 by 9 baking pan at 350 F for 35 minutes or until the brownies begin to pull away from the sides of the pan.

They are not quite dense and gooey enough to be perfect in my books, but they are certainly chocolaty and yummy none the less. I am still in search of perfection, but these brownies are pretty darn good.

3 comments:

  1. What a lovely site. I just dropped by to thank you for your visit this evening. I do hope you'll keep coming. Mary - One Perfect Bite

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps these might be more to your liking?

    http://orangette.blogspot.com/2005/08/days-that-are-good-flesh-continuingon.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been using your blondie recipe quite a lot, and you can substitute 1/2 cup of the flour for 1/2 cup sifted cocoa and get a great brownie out of it, too. I've done it a few times and they turned out great.

    ReplyDelete